PG&E Smart Meters inaccurately blamed for Santa Rosa fire
April 12, 2011
A short in the Santa Rosa Mall’s electrical system took the path of least resistance and blew out several standard and Smart Meters, said Santa Rosa Fire Chief Mark McCormick.
PG&E was not responsible for the fire. To date, Smart Meters have not been found to create a fire hazard, said PG&E spokesperson Greg Snapper.
ORIGINAL: Activists are claiming that a recent fire at a shopping mall in Santa Rosa was caused by an explosion of three PG&E Smart Meters. [EMF Reports]
Sandi Maurer of the EMF Safety Network said the April 7 incident at the Santa Rosa Mall stemmed from a fire in the electrical room. She cited the official report from the Fire Department, “upon investigation, found three PG&E Smart Meters had blown off the electrical panel causing damage to the interior wiring of the electrical panel. A fire was still smoldering . . . “
According to newspaper reports, Santa Rosa Battalion Chief Jack Piccinini described the scene as a “meltdown.”
Maurer claims that Smart Meters have also been responsible for fires in Bakersfield, El Cerrito, and Berkeley.
“Smart Meters are dangerous and PG&E and the CPUC should act now to stop the installation.” said Maurer.
PG&E has installed wireless Smart Meters in many parts of northern San Luis Obispo County. Recent workshops were held in Nipomo to educate the public about forthcoming installation. Meanwhile, local activists want a more comprehensive “opt-out” option for customers who prefer wired Smart Meters.