Child abducted from Atascadero homeless shelter

August 5, 2011

Jeremy Guthrie

A 4-year-old Atascadero boy was allegedly kidnapped from the Echo Shelter in Atascadero at about 4:30 a.m. on Friday.

Police issued an Amber Alert for Jeremy Guthrie after his mother discovered him missing on Friday morning.

Guthrie was last seen wearing a camouflage shirt and blue spider man underpants. He is 3 feet 5 inches tall, 33 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes.

Police suspect Annette Hale, 53, of taking the child and leaving on foot. Hale is Hispanic, 5 feet 4 inches tall, 200 pounds, with brown hair and brown eyes. Hale has a long criminal history.

Hale, who was also utilizing the shelter for the night, is not related to the child and possibly left the shelter at 4:30 a.m. when a door alarm sounded.

Anyone with information on this incident should call the Atascadero police department at 805-461-5051.

Annette Hale

1. Cindy says:

GREAT NEWS – They found Jeremy. He was spotted with his kidnapper this morning at 5:30AM on San Anselmo/El Camino Real and they just found him in the same area about 20 minutes ago! She must have been hiding there with him.

2. OsborneCox says:

Obviously, we’re all hoping for the best.
    Meantime, I’ve always been concerned about that homeless shelter being so close to the high school and apartment buildings that house quite a few children – if you don’t know, the shelter is in the Baptist church at the entrance to the H.S. football field.

3. smartmouth says:

Pervs in the van with surfboards? Apparently I’ve missed something!

• MaryMalone says:

It was on CCN a week or so ago. It was in North County. There was a red VW van with two surfboards on top that was cruising a neighborhood and trying to get these young kids to get in the van.

I was disapopinted on many levels. First, that pervs are cruising the streets in broad daylight trying to pick up kids.

But also because, in the day I had many a surfer boyfriend. They were all a little distant (other priorities, namely surfing), but not pervy at all.

4. Cindy says:

“Guthrie was last seen wearing a camouflage shirt and blue spider man underpants.”

WRONG?? I received three reverse 911 calls this morning. The boy is wearing a camel shirt not camouflage according to the reverse 911 calls. He is wearing blue pants and is possibly carrying a Spiderman blanket.

• r0y says:

I also heard on two different amber alerts (Atascadero PD and CHP) that it was a camel shirt, blue shorts and spidey blanket.

Either way, he’s probably had his clothes changed unless the perp is not smart.

• MaryMalone says:

This is starting to sound like the Amber Alert Version of Clue.

Why can’t they get the description straight?

5. Typoqueen says:

OMG how horrible! I hope he’s okay. What a sick Bit@h.

• r0y says:

We do not know if she is guilty – though I will be the first to agree with you should she prove the one responsible for the abduction.

• Typoqueen says:

You’re right, I shouldn’t jump the gun, I get a bit peeved when others do. I did talk with a cop right after they caught this lady. He told me it was a stranger abduction but he didn’t give me any more details.

6. hotdog says:

5 feet 4 inches tall, 200 pounds!!!!!!!!!!! Bit of a blimp… And stealing a child; I hope the cops find her before someone like me does.

• Cindy says:

OMG, This woman is a stranger ! Initially, I thought she must know and care about the child. This is scary, we have to find this child.

• Side_Show_Bob says:

Check all the fast food and donut shops. It’s obvious she can’t make it far without visiting one of those places.

• danika says:

I am offended by your assumption that short people can’t resist donut shops and fast food…please apologize!

7. MaryMalone says:

First the pervs in the van with surfboards and now this?

Is there some time of perv vortex forming over Atascadero?