SLO apartment fire injures two
December 28, 2012
Two firefighters sustained minor injuries and a dog died Thursday in what fire officials called “a rapidly-spreading fire” at a two-story apartment building at 729 Pismo Street in San Luis Obispo.
None of the building’s nine residents were hurt, although one narrowly escaped injuries when he leaped from the second story to escape the flames.
The two firefighters were evaluated at a local hospital and released.
According to Battalion Chief Jeff Gater, the fire started about 2:47 p.m., apparently after a couch was placed over a gas floor heater outlet. Gater said the 113-year-old building was heavily involved in flames by the time firefighters arrived on the scene. Four occupants were home when the fire started, and all escaped without assistance. The blaze was controlled within 25 minutes, said Gater. Loss to the building was estimated at more than $500,000.
Gater said smoke detectors were discovered at the scene but were too heavily damaged to determine if they were working at the time.