Alligator guards marijuana stash

January 10, 2013

Mr.Teeth_1-224x300Deputies in Alameda County discovered a 5-foot alligator guarding 35 pounds of marijuana worth $100,000 during a probation compliance check on Wednesday. [SanFranciscoChronicle]

“Mr. Teeth,” acted as a deterrent against marijuana thieves, sheriff’s Sgt. J.D. Nelson said. Mr. Teeth’s owner got the alligator in 1996 “to commemorate the death of rapper Tupac Shakur.”

“We come across guard dogs like pit bulls quite frequently, but a guard alligator is very very unusual,” Nelson added.

Deputies booked the reptile’s owner, Assif Mayr, 32, into jail for allegedly possessing marijuana for sale and Mr. Teeth was taken to the Oakland Zoo.

1. SLOTECH90 says:

You just couldn’t make this stuff up!!

2. jimmy_me says:

Very effective. I should know… I use several alligators to protect my liquor cabinet.

3. r0y says:

No to be confused with Dr. Teeth – it’s still a good name for a ‘gator.

Anyway, glad the reptile is safely tucked away in the Oakland Zoo… I call that gator aid… *zing!*

4. Grrr says:

I have to wonder how he fed Mr. teeth, Did he pick up run away pets off the street, and toll papers for “free to a good home” ads?

• MaryMalone says:

I don’t think alligators are very picky about the condition of what they eat, or whether it is moving or dead.

They also don’t need to be trained to be aggressive and territorial.

In other words, I think Mr. Teeth was a creative idea for providing security to Mr. Mayr’s, and probably served the purpose very well.

My only concern would be whether or not Mr. Teeth was held in humane conditions, and that his health and welfare were well addressed by Mr. Mayr.

5. Cindy says: