Cal Poly apartment catches fire

May 16, 2013

cal poly villiageA Cal Poly apartment caught on fire Wednesday evening after a resident left a candle unattended.

Around 7:48 p.m. Wednesday, the small fire broke out in a single bedroom of a four-bedroom suite in Poly Canyon Village.

The San Luis Obispo Fire Department and Cal Fire responded to the small blaze, which caused dense smoke to emit from the first floor unit in Corralitos Hall. Cal Poly University Police officers and Poly Canyon resident advisers evacuated most of the occupants of the five-story building within 10 minutes, and firefighters achieved control of the fire within 10 minutes as well without any injuries occurring.

Firefighters limited the fire damage to a portion of the one bedroom. Water damage also occurred to the suite. Officials estimate that more than $20,000 of structure damage occurred, and about $5,000 of damage to personal belongings.

Cal Poly provided temporary housing on-site to displaced first floor tenants.

The city fire department responded with a ladder truck and three fire engines. Cal Fire also brought an engine.

The fire department reminds residents not to leave burning candles unattended.

 


2 Comments

  1. hijinks says:

    The photo’s not of Poly Canyon Village.

    Thankfully, all are safe.

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 0

  2. unlisted says:

    I wonder if mommy and daddy will be billed for their little darling’s negligence?

    Like or Dislike: Thumb up 3 Thumb down 0

Comments are closed.