Birds provoke cat fight

January 4, 2014

The staff at CalCoastNews decided to share this non-local video with our readers because we found it so bizarre. In the video, a pair of birds incite two cats into a fight.

cat fight

1. abigchocoholic says:

In the video, a pair of birds incite two cats into a fight.
    ————————-
    Wrong. These two cats were already fighting or getting ready to fight. The birds are just a inconsequential nuisance and that is why the cats ignore them rather than go after them. The cats were in the midst of their own battle and had no extra attention to give to a couple of birds that, in their own bird brain way, were probably unnecessarily defending a nearby nest.

2. Jorge Estrada says:

Just cats at play and the birds ending the exchange with,” get the flock out of here!”

3. pasodowny says:

Seems like a BOS metaphor to me.

Go birds! Damn outdoor cats just crap in my garden anyway.

An outdoor cat is not a pet. It is just an animal that comes by to eat whatever food is available.

4. MarkJames says:

The kids are alright. I wonder if birds give themselves the ‘high 5′ ?

Those are some very smart birds. I know ravens are highly intelligent but what kind of birds are those, they sure aren’t ravens? Does anyone know?

5. vmmill42 says:

This video is very disturbing. Cat fights are not entertaining or funny. The individual who
    recorded this has a perverse sense of humor.
    Cat fights can be broken up with a broomstick handle, loud noise or other distraction.

I just saw another video today of a similar type bird playing with a puppy. Are these being
    created on someone’s computer to trick us?

• Cindy says:

vmmill42, This video isn’t disturbing and I’m an animal lover. Yes it was sad to see the cats getting into a fight but fascinating to watch the two “nesting” birds at work. These two birds are a pair who have young hatchlings nearby and they were distracting the cats and attempting to make them leave the area. Notice how the birds continue to chase the cats after they run off. The most amazing part is how each bird would attempt to pull the other cats tail to keep them intent on each other rather than the nearby nest. This is nature at work, some birds are incredibly intelligent. How amazing.

vmmill42, The way that I see it, when it comes to cats, birds usually end up on the short end of the stick. The cats will be just fine, cats fight all the time with each other and come out unscathed, the birds are rarely so lucky. Hope these brave birds raised a fine healthy family.

• Pelican1 says:

I agree. Before the birds approached the cats, they appeared to be posturing as though they were going to tangle. The birds were simply defending their territory. I doubt they had little to do with inciting anything more than frustration on behalf of the cats
        Fascinating to watch.

• BeenThereDoneThat says:

Watching this I was trying to figure out what was up with the birds. I like your thought on the nest. Interesting.

• Black_Copter_Pilot says:

WWJD

• Lynette_Tornatzky says:

Cats come out unscathed? I’ve got the vet bills to disprove that…..

• Cindy says:

Well yes, occasionally an abscess can develop after a bite and needs to be lanced and some antibiotics prescribed. Regardless, these birds are parents protecting their young. So an abscess that can be treated doesn’t compare to what will occur if the cats attack the birds nest. Personally if I had seen this occurring, I would have put down the video camera when the fighting started and run the cats off in different directions, thus solving the dilemma for all. I felt sorry for the cats as that was an intense fight however I have to say that those birds with their comradery and applied tactics had me awe struck.

I have seen this behavior with birds before but not to that extent. Probably because the (one) cat freaked out and took off on it’s own without need for outside intervention or the complication of a second cat.