14 arrested during Cal Poly concert

February 5, 2014

steve aokiPolice arrested 14 people during a Steve Aoki concert at Cal Poly on Friday night. [MustangNews]

Of those arrested for disorderly conduct, public intoxication and drug possession, six were Cal Poly students. In addition, five people were transported to the hospital for public intoxication.

The concert was hosted by Associated Students Inc., which staffed the Rec Center with 20 private security guards. Approximately 4,000 people attended the event.

1. Slowerfaster says:

Who the heck is Steve Aoki ?

2. Pelican1 says:

Just one other look into the “social seen.”

• the guy paso says:

I don’t get the social seen thing, am I too aged?

3. Jorge Estrada says:

I have to disagree with the use of a Cal Poly venue for these gatherings. There are plenty of private locations for this type of exposure. Cal Poly is not an entity that should be competing against private enterprize. From where I stand I see unfair competition because Cal Poly operates under rules that are not afforded to the general public.

Sure I like music and fun times but why don’t we use, let’s say a large Caltrans parking lot? Caltrans could use the revenue too! The question I’m trying to elevate is what state agencies are allowed to go after these party dollars and why?

• Theo P. Neustic says:

Good point . I would say, no tax payer supported entities should be in competition with private enterprise. How about only private venues such as Vina Robles or Pozo?

• the guy paso says:

You mean “separation of profit and state”?

• Theo P. Neustic says:

I guess there’s more socialists here than I thought.

• Answer4U says:

This concert was hosted by Cal Poly ASI. That organization’s funding is purely private (i.e. student-based fees, public events, fund raising, etc…).

• notCrustyOldSLOFart says:

What you’re missing is that associated students, inc hosted this event in the recreation center, which is also owned by ASI. ASI is funded by the students, thus “Associated Students, Inc.” It’s not exactly tax payer money and property they used.