Los Osos fire destroys residential unit in duplex

June 2, 2014

fireAn early morning fire Sunday destroyed one of two residential units in a Los Osos duplex.

The fire broke out around 1 a.m. Sunday at 1501 Nipomo Avenue in Los Osos. Firefighters responded from both Los Osos and Morro Bay, but they did not control the blaze until about 4:30 a.m.

The firefighters did prevent the blaze from damaging the second unit of the duplex. Though the fire destroyed the other unit, only $30,000 of damage occurred, according to CalFire.

No injuries occurred as a result of the fire, and the cause is still to be determined.

1. napamanseesarson says:

I was visiting from napa and saw a big muscular guy with blond short hair with a torch in front yard. It was about 11:30 and I was walking my dog that wouldn’t settle down. I stopped wondering what the heck he was doing. He turned around and in a gruff voice said,”what do you want?”. So I kept walking. He had a trailer full of furniture, was wearing shorts and a thin shirt. Huge looking dude. Big arms. I’m not sure what the address was but I was walking on the east side of Nipomo near the larger homes. I stopped at the corner to watch him because I thought it was weird. He was lighting up a stack of paper pretty close to the front door.

2. slowtime says:

I’m hearing this was an Arson from a spurned woman. Wow!

3. info says:

Does anyone know if the units had fire sprinklers? Age of unit construction?

• BeenThereDoneThat says:

My guess would be no. Sprinkler regs. are recent and not much new stuff has been built in Los Osos in a long time.

• LameCommenter says:

Residential Fire Suppression sprinklering: a debatably good idea for new construction, a blisteringly wasteful requirement for remodeling due to $ 15,000 – $20,000 extra cost of paying someone to dig up and tap the ancient existing water main. Many a remodel will not be done due to the added cost in jurisdictions that require it, such as Los Osos.

4. BeenThereDoneThat says:

Wait, fire damaged the unit but only caused 30k in damage? You can’t get a kitchen remodel hardly done for that. I would LOVE to see who bids this rebuild of unit and can do for 30k. Send them over to my place.

• OnTheOtherHand says:

There are places that are marginally liveable that could be rebuilt with minimal cost if built to the same conditions. $30K might be a bit on the low side but I have seen places (and lived in a couple) that would not be much more than that if the rebuilding didn’t require expensive permits or higher construction standards.

• Niles Q says:

Smoke causes a lot of the damage and firefighters don’t distinguish between fire and smoke damage, unless it’s merchandise in a store. And smoke damage is less expensive to repair than fire damage.

Even at $30K, if this is one of the old WWII barracks apartments, it might not be worth it to repair.