FBI agents thwart Ventura bank robbery

July 1, 2014

jailA Los Angeles man is in jail after his attempt to rob a Ventura bank on Monday was foiled by two FBI agents who just happened to be in the building.

At about 3 p.m., Manuel Hernandez, 28, slipped a note demanding cash to a teller at a Chase Bank in Ventura. The teller then activated a silent robbery alarm before placing an undisclosed amount of cash in a bag.

On the second floor of the bank building, bank staff informed the FBI agents of the robbery. The agents then spotted Hernandez walking out of the bank with a bag in his hand before breaking into a run.

The agents out ran Hernandez and arrested him not far from the bank.

1. indigo1955 says:

That is almost as slick (but not quite) as the SLOPD who closed in on the 4 or 5 people from LA several years ago who were on their way in with weapons to rob a bank here in town. No one needed to be traumatized at all….phone calls from citizens who saw them in their car looking suspicious-and on there way in….nixed that little gig real quick. Enough to convict too.

• pasoparent5 says:

But if you’re reading an on-line news site, aren’t YOU kinda in “cyber-land” too?

• Slowerfaster says:

“It is too bad people are in another state of consciousness entirely (yep…cell phones) or they might notice the world going on around them. The glazed-over state of humanity never ceases to amaze me….but it is not everyone….there are a few out there not in cyber-land. I actually thought I was carrying on a conversation with someone the other day-I mean the responses sounded pretty cohesive at first. But then, when they started asking about feeding the dog, I spotted the ear piece. Curses! Human interaction foiled again!”

Hard to escape the hordes of electro-zombies today.
      I used to point out to these drones how rude their behavior was …interrupting and ongoing conversation to reply to a non-emergency cell call, or even initiating a text or call .
      Course, then I was the ‘bad guy’.

Now, when this happens, I pretend to be having a different conversation with an imaginary ‘friend’. Typically, it ends up being ‘addition by subtraction’ with the dolts avoiding me.
      I benefit with much more intelligent discourse.

• r0y says:

This, we are in agreement on 100%. Even my loved ones fall victim to electro-zombism; I even find myself getting upset or frustrated at my wife: “Really? We’re out at dinner, wouldn’t you like to just enjoy a moment without the cellphone?” – it usually breaks the spell, but it is always there. Kids, too, of course.

2. MarkGB says:

In smaller towns the FBI usually leases office space from banks. It’s affordable and low profile.

3. aft50s says:

Talk about bad luck, what are the odds of 2 FBI agents being in a bank at the same time a robbery is taking place?

• Jorge Estrada says:

You gotta keep an open mind, they may have been investigating the bank?

• topper01 says:

As MarkGB said, they often rent office space in bank buildings. Our local FBI used to rent an office in a bank. Not sure if they still do.

• Stunned says:

The odds ARE astounding. 1) Two FBI agents that can run and 2) Two FBI agents catching a bank robber. Off the charts!!