Mo’s Smokehouse BBQ cook injured in explosion

May 30, 2013

mosAn explosion Wednesday at Mo’s Smokehouse BBQ restaurant on Monterey Street in San Luis Obispo left a cook with serious injuries. [KSBY]

At about 6 p.m., a commercial pressure cooker exploded, blowing a hole in the roof of the kitchen and injuring the employee. Investigators are looking into the cause of the explosion.

Emergency personnel transported the cook to a local hospital.

The restaurant was closed for the rest of the evening.

1. r0y says:

The best way to cook beef ribs is via a pressure cooker. I’m not sure that is what they used it for (also great for beans), but it is something one wants to stay on top of for maintenance, etc. I do not let my family in the kitchen when I am using mine, and I replace it every few years (depending on use).

Hope that cook is OK, and I hope Mo’s doesn’t close because of the mess this is likely unfolding (insurance, government-BS, etc)

• obispan says:

My Mom has one with a simple weight for the relief valve that is probably 40 years old. A Chinese made pressure cooker is probably pretty dangerous and good only for use as a terrorist device. I like the beef ribs idea, it make sense intuitively. Pressure cookers are also incredibly energy efficient. Will look into buying one before they are banned.

• Rambunctious says:

I’ll pass on the pressure cooker…my 25 year old crock pot has never blown up and it makes great beans.

• flytrap says:

Please don’t spill the beans on that. I think that is a lot of crock!

• obispan says:

All you eat is beans? I guess that does explain a lot. On another note; any restaurant that used crock pots would go broke pretty fast.

2. easymoney says: