Downtown SLO gas line ruptures

October 12, 2013

Screen Shot 2013-10-12 at 2.39.18 PM A gas leak at a San Luis Obispo construction site shut down a section of downtown for much of Friday afternoon.

At 1:11 p.m. Friday, the San Luis Obispo Fire Department responded to a gas leak at the intersection of Marsh and Nipomo streets. A contractor working at the construction site caused the leak by damaging and rupturing a high-pressure natural gas line.

The leak closed down surrounding streets, and nearby businesses needed to evacuate. Traffic backed up in the area for several hours.

Emergency personnel and a gas company repair crew stopped the leak at 4:02 p.m.

Cal Fire and the San Luis Obispo Police Department also responded to the scene.