SLO Christmas tree goes dark after fire

December 30, 2015

FIRE_01A generator fire shut off the lights on the Christmas tree standing atop Cerro San Luis Mountain in San Luis Obispo Tuesday evening. [KSBY]

At about 9 p.m., the generator that powers the lights caught fire, according to Cal Fire. The lights on the tree then went out.

Firefighters arrived at the scene and found the blaze had completely destroyed the generator. The fire did not damage anything else in the area.

Investigators say it will be difficult to determine if anything other than overheating caused the fire because of the destruction of the generator. An investigation is ongoing.

On Monday, police arrested a man for setting a fire at the end of Johnson Avenue in San Luis Obispo. There remain more than 40 cases of unsolved arsons in San Luis Obispo this year.


Loading...

4 Comments

  1. SamLouis says:

    Why should a relatively small, stationary Kubota diesel generator need to be “attended”?

    (2) 4 Total Votes - 3 up - 1 down
  2. Ralph Snart says:

    So the county is OK with running a generator unattended? That’s negligence at least. Who was responsible?

    (-9) 9 Total Votes - 0 up - 9 down
  3. SamLouis says:

    I love that Christmas tree on the top of Cerro SLO. A legacy of Alex Madonna.

    (3) 7 Total Votes - 5 up - 2 down
  4. indigo1955 says:

    I thought that thing looked a little bright last night….

    (0) 4 Total Votes - 2 up - 2 down

Leave a Comment