Settlement made in Cal Poly hazing suit
September 9, 2010
The parents of a Cal Poly student who died during a fraternity hazing agreed to a $500,000 settlement with a former Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity member
Carson Starkey, 18, from Austin, Texas, died of alcohol poisoning after a Sigma Alpha Epsilon initiation event. Starkey had a blood alcohol of between 0.39 and 0.44.
Haithem Ibrahim, 21, is the first defendant to agree to a settlement.
Scott and Julia Starkey are suing the fraternity and eight additional fraternity members for their alleged involvement in their son’s hazing death.