Uber gets green light from SLO airport

April 19, 2016

UberSan Luis Obispo County Regional Airport has announced it will allow tech-savvy transportation company Uber to drop off and pick up travelers. [KCOY]

Uber will join taxis, shuttle buses and limousines as one of the ground transportation services operating at the airport. Airport director Kevin Bumen released a statement praising the agreement.

“We are excited to be able to offer this popular transportation network company service as part of our continued commitment to explore ways to enhance our customer experience,” Bumen said.

Travelers who use the new Uber service will pay a $2.50 airport fee for both pickups and drop-offs. In order to arrange the transport, users must simply simply open the app, drop the pin anywhere within the airport terminal and request a ride.

1. 65buick says:

Normally I’d say this is crazy. You’re putting legit people out of business. In this case, it’s a better model taking place. And, if anyone has tried getting to or from the slo airport, you know what kind of crazy bill you get. Or anywhere, for that matter.

2. smile4thecamera says:

Love Uber. I highly support it’s arrival in town. Try getting a cab from the airport to anywhere…fuhgeddaboutit.

3. HarryMalone says:

The decision to allow Uber at the airport craps all over the crazy rules real registered taxi services that have to jump through many government hoops and fees.

• SLOBIRD says:

San Francisco made the company give them a list of all the drivers in S.F. and they are now going to require a business license. More revenue for the cities!

4. Kaiser Bill says:

The job situation is going to get worse in the future.

There will be NO Uber drivers or truck drivers in the future.

All those jobs will be done by robots.

5. TaxMeAgain says:

Excellent. Goodby crappy, old, vomit ridden SLO cabs. Hello nice, simple, clean, and inexpensive UBER rides.

6. Rambunctious says:

Let me see if I’ve got this right…with UBER you call a total stranger who drives a car you know absolutely nothing about to come to your house and pick you up…is that about it? Hmmm doesn’t sound too good to me.

• TaxMeAgain says:

I got a ride from an Uber in Florida and the guy was a self-made millionaire. He did it only to chat with people. I’m not really sure I follow your argument since I really don’t know my cab drivers either. With Uber, you can actually request the same driver over and over if you want and establish that trust.

• achillesheal says:

1 million customers per day in 60 countries think otherwise (Source: Uber).

I recently attended a CA Angels game. The cab line after the game was about 200 people long. It was pretty nice to hop into an Uber ride with no wait.

• Rambunctious says:

1 million customers per day in 60 countries think otherwise (Source: Uber).

There are over 40 billion hitchhikers world wide every year…..

7. Jorge Estrada says:

I wonder if UBER would be able to use this public facility if they hadn’t pay the authorities a cut? How about calling this home version of techy transit, SLO UBER?

8. aft50s says:

Yeah, I bet he is so excited at exploring a new source of revenue. As always, its all about the money…

9. Rich in MB says:

I’ve actually been thinking of being an Uber driver myself, just for fun and a few extra Taco dollars.

But will I get complaints from the passengers if I’m listening to:
    Rush 9-noon
    Glenn Beck noon
    And then the Dave show from 3-7PM

• demiseofslo says:

Glenn Beck is the biggest slimeball on fox noise!!

• Kaiser Bill says:

Why would anyone listen to Beck?

He is certifiably nuts and part of the Cruz Cult.

• SLOBIRD says:

One of the teabagger leaders and a huge support in Cruz’s election. I heard he recently told Cruz he was the modern day Mose! He, Cruz and Rafael Cruz all speak in tongues and you can find it on Utube. Very scary!

• Black Copter Pilot says:

You lost me at Dave show

• TaxMeAgain says:

It’s telling that someone, no matter what you believe in, cannot summon the strength and patience to simply LISTEN to someone.