Mountain lion sighted in Pismo Beach
October 19, 2011
The Pismo Beach Police department has confirmed a recent mountain lion sighting near Chumash Park.
Police are warning the public to exercise caution in the park and surrounding areas.
The following are guidelines regarding encounters with mountain lions:
• Do not hike, bike, or jog alone.
• Avoid hiking or jogging when mountain lions are most active—dawn, dusk, and at night.
• Keep a close watch on small children.
• Do not approach a mountain lion.
• If you encounter a mountain lion, do not run; instead, face the animal, make noise and try to look bigger by waving your arms; throw rocks or other objects. Pickup small children.
• If attacked, fight back.
• If a mountain lion attacks a person, immediately call 911.
Residents are advised to contact the Pismo Beach Police department if they observe a mountain lion anywhere in the city of Pismo Beach. Call 773-2208 or 911.