Committee cancels Paso Robles Fourth of July fireworks
May 14, 2013
Organizers of the primary Fourth of July fireworks show in Paso Robles have cancelled this year’s event due to lack of funding. [Tribune]
Paso Blast, which takes place at Barney Schwartz Park, draws about 15,000 people annually, according to its organizers.
The Fourth of July Fireworks Committee, a nonprofit subsidiary of the Paso Robles Rotary Club, runs the yearly event and is responsible for the fundraising. Paso Robles Mayor Duane Picanco is a member of the five-person committee.
Picanco told the Tribune that the committee needed $65,000 to operate the show, but to date it had only raised $46,000 in pledges.
“That was the problem,” Picanco said. We didn’t have the money. They were pledges. We had about half of that.”
But, the fireworks committee has previously succeeded in last minute fundraising efforts. Donors saved the show in 2009 and 2011 when it appeared the committee would have to cancel the event. In 2010, though, the fireworks committee did cancel the show.
The city of Paso Robles provided funding for the yearly fireworks show until 2009. Since the loss of city funding, the fireworks committee has struggled to raise the needed amount to put on the show.
Picanco said he did not participate in the decision to cancel this year’s show because he had an appointment at the time of the fireworks committee meeting.
The committee says it plans to revive Paso Blast in 2014. Money already donated for the 2013 show will either return to donors or roll over toward the 2014 show.