Mountain Lion at the Oceano Dunes?
March 14, 2011
Local photographer Amy Joseph was capturing images of the Oceano Dunes on Saturday afternoon when she took a few photos of what she thought was a stray horse. To her surprise, zoom images appear to show a mountain lion running along the dunes.
In the past, rangers have noted lion tracks in the sand, primarily in the area between West Grand Avenue and Pier Avenue.
The Central Coast is recognized as mountain lion habitat.
Mountain lions are quiet, solitary and elusive and typically avoid people.
California Department of Fish and Game safety tips:
* Do not hike, bike or jog alone.
* Avoid hiking or jogging when mountain lions are most active—dawn, dusk and at night.
* Keep a close watch on small children.
* Do not approach a mountain lion.
* If you encounter a mountain lion, do not run; instead, face the animal, make noise and try to look bigger by waving your arms; throw rocks or other objects. Pick up small children.
* If attacked, fight back.
* If a mountain lion attacks a person,
immediately call 911.