Cinco de Mayo recipe for Arroz con Pollo Mole
May 4, 2013
For this years Cinco de Mayo celebration, try taking a traditional dish a little further south of the border. George Duran’s recipe for Arroz con Pollo Mole (Rice and Chicken) is packed with unexpected ingredients and a combination of sweet and salty flavors. This Mexican dish smells as delicious as it tastes.
• 2 Tbsp. toasted sesame seed
• 1 tsp. cinnamon
• 1 tsp. mild chili powder
• 1 tsp. cumin
• ½ tsp. ground allspice
• 2 tsp. salt
• 6 chicken thighs, skin removed
• ½ C. flour
• 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
• salt and pepper
• 6 slices bacon, chopped
• 1 medium red onion, chopped
• 2 red pepper, chopped
• 6 cloves garlic, minced
• 2 C. rice, uncooked
• 2 6-oz. can tomato paste
• 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
• 6 C. chicken stock
• Curly parsley, finely chopped, for garnish
• Mix first 6 ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
• Dust chicken thighs with flour and season with salt and pepper. Heat vegetable oil in your IMUSA Non-Stick Caldero on medium-high heat and cook chicken until browned, about 3-5 minutes on each side. Set aside.
• Lower heat to medium and cook bacon until slightly browned. Add onions, red peppers and garlic and sauté until softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice, tomato paste, chocolate and dry spices and mix. Add chicken stock and mix again. Allow to come to a simmer, cover and turn heat to low. Simmer for 25 minutes.
• Uncover, and gently mix rice and add chicken thighs on top. Cover and continue simmering for 20-25 more minutes until thighs and rice are cooked. If needed, add more stock or water until rice is done.
• Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving with finely chopped parsley.