Paso Robles man wins $78 million lottery

November 19, 2011

An 82-year-old Paso Robles man claimed the $78 million jackpot won with a ticket he purchased at the 1 Stop at 703 Spring Street in Paso Robles, lottery officials said in a statement.

“Charles Hairston is a laid back kinda man. He’s so laid back, in fact, that even after winning a $78 million MEGA Millions jackpot, he said while he thought winning was ‘pretty nice,’ he just, ‘stayed home and took it easy that night,’ ”the statement said.

Hairston is a retired welder who served several years in the United States Army during the Korean War. Lottery officials said Hairston has played the Lottery since it began in 1985, and while he enjoys playing different games, including Scratchers and Fantasy 5, MEGA Millions has to be his favorite game at this point.

So, what does Hairston plan to do with his new-found wealth?  Hairston told lottery officials, “Stick to my own business and try to be smart with it. Other than that, I don’t know what I’ll do with it.”

1. Slowerfaster says:

I knew a fellow that was a school janitor, middle aged. Very modest means.

Then he won several million dollars playing the lottery. It took him all of two years to spend all of it …mostly on “Lady friends” …many at the same time ! Talk about spreading the wealth. He said it was the best time he ever had in his life !

Another fellow in the neighborhood won a substantial jackpot. First thing he did after the check cleared was to pay cash for a new Corvette. A short time later, he drove into a wall. Since he chose the 25 year structured payout, his heirs could not collect a dime, due to the taxes.

2. willie says:

“Hairston told lottery officials, “Stick to my own business and try to be smart with it. Other than that, I don’t know what I’ll do with it.””

Hairston told them the same thing I would have said.
    But at 82 years old, he is a very wise man and know what to do!
    He will probably take care of family and old friends first.
    For himself he will probably do nothing different than what he is doing now other than have more gathering of family and old friends and also or moreso keeping a low profile and avoiding moochers and money loving vultures and vamps.

The first thing I would tell anyone who advise me what to do with my money is, it is my problem and NOT yours, so don’t worry or concern yourself about it!

3. SewerHeightsRez says:

A large jar of ludes to mix with your Ensure and a new hooker every night – you’ve earned it! And leave the rest to whoever the hell you want.

4. Ted Slanders says:

Hidden due to low comment rating Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 9 Thumb down 52

• trx450r1031 says:

Actually its “The love of money is the root of all evil” The point is that greed is bad not money. You can have money and not be greedy. Jesus didn’t go around telling everybody to give everything away, only the ones he wished to be free of greed. After all, the poor can be just as greedy as the rich. Its an issue of the heart. Congrats to the winner!

• Ted Slanders says:

trx450r1031,

Will all due respect, you need to make an appointment with Lenscrafters as soon as possible! You are entitled to your own personal opinions, but you are NOT entitled to biblical facts!

You stated that Jesus didn’t go around telling everyone to give everything away. He most certainly did by stating with specificity in Matthew 19:21, in part, “…….If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor then you will have treasure in heaven….”. Key phrase, “sell your possessions!” I don’t see a clause in this passage that says to keep some of them, do you? I didn’t think so.

We use Jesus as an example, do we not? What possessions did He have while upon this earth? Nothing but the clothes upon His back. There, see how easy that was in proving your premise wrong?

Furthermore, just for entertainment purposes, where biblically does it state without a doubt that Jesus only told “certain people” to give away their possessions to be free of greed as you so postulate in vain?

Hot debate. What do you think? Thumb up 12 Thumb down 30

• MisterHomoErectus says:

blah blah Jesus blah blah. I bet even God gets tired of this Christian babble.

• pasoparent5 says:

I’m hardly a Bible thumper but here goes: “1 Peter 4:15. “But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a BUSYBODY IN OTHER MEN’S MATTERS.”

So Ted Slanders, mind your OWN business and leave the lottery winner alone. It’s Mr. Hairston’s money. Congrats Mr. Hairston!!

• Ted Slanders says:

pasoparent5,

I cannot “mind my own business” when I am directly told to follow the commands set forth by our God in the New Testament. This includes spreading the Gospel to Mr. Hairson. My godly position is vouchsafed with this passage, to wit: “And he said to them, ‘Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.” ( Mark 16:15 ) In this particular incident, the gospel to be spread is giving one’s riches away!

If Mr. Hairson is in fact a Christian, and since he has come upon this exorbitant wealth by merely purchasing a lottery ticket by chance, with probably the money he had left over from purchasing some Satanic concoction of fermentation, that He should follow Jesus’ words by giving this overabundance of wealth away! In this situation, he will find treasure in heaven! If one is a Christian, who are we to usurp the direct commands of our Savior in the passages in question? Not me!

In closing, your feeble attempt to disparage a godly man of my stature is insolent and unacceptable to our God!

• zaphod says:

don’t feed the sanctified troll please.I know for a fact his schleplicure has been whitened. (but is full of you know what (jesus said)
              anyone pretending to know what almighty gawd thinks or wants is either a jack ass imbecilic.or an Innocent child pretending to be one.CCN is PG13 grow up or get yer own blog .

• Ted Slanders says:

zaphod,

As if the grade school syntactical sentence structuring, and child like content of your inept post isn’t enough, you have the audacity to state that I am a sanctified troll? This is the furthest from the truth. Furthermore, you do this by linking an icon of an angel, THAT IS A GRAVEN IMAGE, and that our Christian God states with specificity that we’re NOT to make in any way whatsoever! (Exodus 20:4) How ungodly can you get?!

Furthermore, I know what our Christian God wants by the simple literal reading of the Bible as historically intended, get it? Surely you’ve passed your high school GD to comprehend the most simplest of facts, yes?

If CCN is PG13, then you’ve become what you’re allegedly against by stating the terms of “jack ass” and implying that I am full of “you know what!” How easily dispatched you are to the godly enlightened like myself!

Run along, I am sure that your recess is about over.

• r0y says:

Actually, it is a Cherub – the image hoster (and Zaph) have it wrong.

• eradicate ignorance says:

HI Ted,
                  Ted,
                  I see you are posting on the Sabbath.

Exodus 35:2
                  “On six days work may be done, but the seventh day shall be sacred to you as the sabbath of complete rest to the LORD. Anyone who does work on that day shall be put to death.”

Should we take everything in the Bible literally? I think not. After all, this was written thousands of years ago. The Bible is a living document, there it evolves.

• rallyraid says:

Whats in Gods name are you talking about?.

• Disgusted says:

Perhaps if you weren’t so pompous and judgmental, the response to your posts would be more positive.

• pasoparent5 says:

Very well said, trx. “It’s an issue of the heart” for all of us, that’s for sure.

• eradicate ignorance says:

Hey Ted, Jesus called and said you should give up your computer and internet connection.

• trx450r1031 says:

Good point erad! Ive been to third world countries and I can say that the average american is very wealthy here compared to them. A computer and internet is totally a material possession! Pasoparent, I liked your point about being a busy body. Its about the heart and what is good and love. Its not about using bible versus out of context to make a point. Jesus spent lots of time wining and dining with the rich and he let a prostitute wash his feet with very costly perfume! Its all about where your heart is!

• Ted Slanders says:

trx450r1031,

I noticed that you remain eerily silent upon addressing my cogent response to your inept and ever so wanting statements of your own making relative to what “you” want the bible to say! lol Everything that I’ve brought forth is backed up using biblical scripture WITHIN CONTEXT relating to my godly questions to you!

It was entertaining to watch you build your weak Satanic defense by proffering your child like rhetoric of allegedly Jesus dining with the rich, and bringing forth costly perfume? Surely you jest? Is this all you have? You should be embarrassed. :( Where’s the meat?

Furthermore, where your “heart is” should be directly synonymous with the teachings of Jesus the Christ, and NOT by your own making by stating your spurious statements to the alumni of this blog!

I run into people like you ad infinitum, that subjectively state what they want the bible to say. You make Jesus and I sick! You DO NOT know more than the inspired word of God within the bible, and within context, so I suggest that you accept this blatant fact before you remove one foot to insert the other once again!

You can thank me for this godly enlightenment in a further post. You’re welcome.

• trx450r1031 says:

Lets bring this back to the point. My whole point is that purging your heart of greed is what is important and you say its satanic?!?! I agree with you that hoarding is not a healthy life choice but what I see is that if ones heart is not bound with greed he or she will use his or her wealth to benefit others because he or she has love in there heart for their fellow man. Im not trying to put you down Ted. I think we could agree on that point? At least as a general principle? Sorry if my tone sounds as if Im belittling you. Please do not write to me in a condescending manner and I will try to do the same for you.

• slorealitycheck says:

hahahahahaha That was funny! And straight to the point.

• Ted Slanders says:

eradicate ignorance,

There always has to be a few clowns in blogs of this nature, and I assume that you are self-appointed in this respect within the Cal Coast News environment. Sorrowful to say the least.

The computer and web sites like Cal Coast News are such a great venue to show in so many ways how dumbfounded certain religious factions can be to the TRUE word of our Christian God!

Conversely, Jesus in prayer last night, metaphorically speaking as you comedically state, called me in prayer. He told me to get into this forum post haste to address the ignorance that certain people of His creation are trying to pass off as the word of God!

No, Mr. eradicate, Jesus has called me, but it is to defend His TRUE words until Hell freezes over, praise!

• eradicate ignorance says:

While what I wrote above may have been funny, I don’t want my point to be lost. CCN is a great venue where we all can express our points of view and hopefully learn a little about others but that requires you to accept that others opinions, while different from you own, can be valid. Acceptance is something that you appear to be struggling with.

I am actually impressed by your diatribe. I find people like you fascinating, although scary. I can see that you have an answer for everything. While you state you come here as a Christian you sure are quick to judge.

ONe last thing, Tell God I said Hi, he hasn’t called in a while. And please put a good word in for the Dodgers, they can use a little divine intervention.

• Ted Slanders says:

In addressing my own onset post above on 11/19/2011 at 3:20pm, it is astonishing in the fact that to date, there’re 34 dislikes relative to only 3 likes! This tells me that this blog is certainly not a bastion of Conservative Christian Fundamentalism that adheres to biblical FACTS!

As my colleague in Christ, Michele Bachmann, said; you have the “choot-spa” in disliking my godly biblical facts in context, but, let it be known, it will be at your own peril come Judgment Day!

Jesus is NOT smiling. :(

• slojo says:

How do you know there is a Jesus?

• trx450r1031 says:

I think that you might find people would agree with you more if you started the conversation with a positive approach and dialog more with what you could agree with rather than put so much focus on things you dont. Otherwise you will end up word fighting. This is not the place to debate what the bible says. There is too much to cover to just throw versus at eachother. I see that as very unproductive. Not that the bible is bad, its just that a debate on a forum like this is not a good setting for a positive dialog. People have lots of good things to say as long as you are looking for it and honor them as a person. Even if you dont agree with everything they do.

• Side_Show_Bob says:

It’s pretty shocking to see the responses when you mention anything to do with Christianity around here, Ted.

It’s pretty sad, actually.

5. bobfromsanluis says:

Congratulations to Mr. Hairston, I hope he makes a lot of other people happy as well by giving to local charities and non-profits, as well as any relatives that he wants to help out. I also hope that he is not taken advantage of by scammers and rip-off con artists. Good luck to you sir.