Sewage spill closes Moonstone Beach

December 19, 2011

Moonstone Beach was closed Sunday after 10,000 gallons of sewage spilled into the ocean because of a a power outage at Cambria’s sewage treatment plant.

The sewage was released into Santa Rosa Creek in the vicinity of Windsor Blvd. and Shammel Park, according to the San Luis Obispo County Health Department. The waste water treatment plant is currently running on the emergency generator.

The power outage was the result of a blown breaker in the electrical panel. An electrician is on-site.

Meanwhile, Moonstone Beach is closed until county health officials can determine if bacteria levels exceed state standards.

1. KimM says:

FYI: A follow-up to this story was posted at:

2. oto says:

Or was it a backup PUMP that they moved from Cambria to Oceano….All I can remember is the PRICE TAG….$75,000.00 smakaroonies….Or was that $225,000.00 for the REALLY BIG mobile pump?

3. seesfarther says:

Unbelieveable! My son and I were surfing on Sunday and I had just mentioned to him how clean the water usually is around there. I saw absolutely NO indication of any sort (signs, yellow tape, guys in trucks) that the beaches along Moonstone Beach Dr were closed.

• Typoqueen says:

Eww, hope this occurred after you and your son left the water.

It’s very sad.

• KimM says:

Hey Seesfarther, Can you contact me at kimm at freeslo dot com? I’d like to quote you. Thanks! :)

4. oto says:

Where have I heard this before?

By the way, it’s the one-year anniversary of the SSLOCSD sewage spill. Merry friggin’ Christmas!

• SLOChuck says:

Anyone know who runs the cambria plant? Is it Wallace Group?

• MaryMalone says:

Chuck, I had to laugh at your comment because that was the first thought that came to my mind.

5. Cindy says:

I should think they would have a fail safe procedure where the back up generator kicks in immediately. What is the problem with these people who are in charge? I’ve been in power failures on small Islands in little 3rd world countries where the hotel kicked in a secondary power source within what was probably less than 2 minutes. Why can’t we do that at a sewage treatment facility in our illustrious Cambria ? No reason for that spill in my opinion.

• BeenThereDoneThat says:

Maybe it’s a manual vs an automatic generator.

• hotdog says:

Right on Cindy, amazing how these things happen in this day and age. Are they broke, lame or what? Emergency power should come on right away for such an important business.

• Mr. Holly says:

These sewer plants are becoming more dangerous than the nuclear power plants.

• oto says:

Ah….If memory serves me right, Cambria’s back-up generator got moved down to the SSLOCSD when all four of their pumps failed at the same time, due to rainwater shorting out the breakers….Did I get that right, Paavo?…Is there an Engineer in the house….?

6. Paso_Guy says: