Dorm fire displaces 10 Cal Poly students
November 4, 2013
A fire in a Cal Poly dormitory left 10 students without housing Sunday evening. [KSBY]
Around 4 p.m. Sunday, a mattress in a Sequoia Hall bedroom caught on fire, forcing residents to evacuate the building.
The mattress caught on fire after an overloaded electrical circuit connecting three bedrooms shorted, causing sparks, San Luis Obispo Fire Battalion Chief Neal Berryman told the Tribune.
San Luis Obispo firefighters put out the fire, and no injuries occurred. Residents of four rooms in Sequoia Hall are temporarily displaced.
The room in which the fire occurred is not safe to live in for the rest of the quarter. It is unclear how long those living in the other three rooms must sleep elsewhere.
Cal Poly officials are working to arrange new housing for the displaced students.