Paso Robles juveniles burglarize skate shop

December 9, 2014

Screen Shot 2014-12-09 at 6.27.18 PMThree juveniles allegedly burglarized a skate shop in Paso Robles Sunday night. Atascadero police caught the suspects less than two hours later.

Paso Robles police received a report of the burglary at Alliance Board Shop in the 1200 block of Park Street at approximately 10:56 p.m. Officers arrived within one minute and searched the building with a canine, but the suspects had escaped.

Surveillance video showed three males breaking into the business by smashing the glass front door. While inside, they stole several skateboards and items of clothing valued at more than $1,400.

The burglars concealed their identity by wearing hooded sweatshirts and covering their faces with clothing. Still Paso Robles police notified other law enforcement in the area about the thieves.

Around 12:30 a.m. on Monday, Atascadero police notified the Paso Robles department that a car stopped for a vehicle code violation appeared to contain property stolen during the burglary. Paso Robles and Atascadero officers jointly determined that the three juveniles in the car matched the suspects from the surveillance footage.

Officers arrested two 15-year-olds and one 16-year-old from Paso Robles.

Their identities are not being released because they are juveniles.

Police booked the suspects in San Luis Obispo County Juvenile Services Center on charges of burglary, possession of stolen property, possession of burglary tools and criminal conspiracy.

An investigation into the incident is ongoing.

1. fishing village says:

I find it strange that juveniles would target a small skateboard business. You would think skateboard shops would be supporters of youth, maybe they are but these 3 don’t know the difference. It is terribly sad.

• achillesheal says:

They targeted it because they wanted new skateboards that they didn’t have the money to buy. In today’s instant gratification society, I don’t find it strange, but do agree that it is sad.

2. womanwhohasbeenthere says:

Kids like these kids give all skateboarders a bad rap.

Regrettably probably NOTHING will happen to them. It wasn’t a “violent” crime so they won’t go to juvenile hall, they’ll just be released to do more of the same.

Maybe the judge could ban them from skateboarding until they are 21? Or put them to work cleaning the skateboard park(s) of leaves, etc.? Pay restitution? Remove graffiti? SOMETHING to make them aware of consequences.

These little retail skateboard shops run on a pretty thin margin, competing with the internet. They often help with local skateboard contests. I hope the skaters in the area will show their support for the owners (I don’t know them BTW). And other shops -BEWARE!

And what about their drivers licenses (or lack thereof?). Is anything going to be done about that?

• mkaney says:

Restitution is the best possible penalty for a crime like this. They have to give up something, and it doesn’t ruin their lives.

3. Paso_citizen says:

I would suggest that a tactic used by several cities in this country could be used here with
    some benefit.

The tactic used is to fully and publicly (on TV, in newspapers, etc.) release the names of
    those caught soliciting prostitutes.

Why not do this with crimes such as this? Publish the kids names, address, age,
    description, everything. Don’t you just somehow feel this would have some impact, even on those brilliant kids that use commit a crime, then drive off in a vehicle that either does not have proper license or some other problem that was evident. With smarts like
    that, do we have any wonder about the future?

There will be some who think this would be harsh or unjust – but tell us all just
    exactly what is in place today that is really, truly addressing this problem.

• mkaney says:

I absolutely agree with you. Restitution and public humiliation are FAR better punishments than locking a kid up or making them pay a fine to the state and putting them in an endless probation loop.

• mkaney says:

Once you piss of the cops, they will just vote down every comment you make, no matter how rational.

• OnTheOtherHand says:

Careful about the generalization there. Your first comment was good. The second not so much.

• mkaney says:

It’s true.. go look at the Eric Garner protest thread. I have paid very close attention to data on articles having to do with high profile law enforcement issues. For example, on the Garner thread there were probably comments from only 8 different people but at least one post had 36 thumbs up. It is very unusual to have that many comment ratings with so few comments, This is a consistent phenomenon that occurs on these articles.

I put up my first comments and I had 12 dislikes within 20 minutes.

• BeenThereDoneThat says:

You might want to rethink your posting logic. Because 8 comments you can’t have 36 down? REALLY? There are a lot of posters here that probably read but not always interested in commenting. I will post sometimes quite a bit and then be quite for a bit, yet I can tell you I’m here reading almost every day. My father and wife same. Others I know same.

Some prefer to do their commenting through others by agreeing or disagreeing with someone who posts a like opinion.

There are people that disagreed with you Mkaney get over it!! I have gotten beatin on these boards by downs and figure, hmm guess not everyone had the same OPINION as I. Nothing wrong with that. It doesn’t change them or me and you don’t have to degrade them by comments like your other board hinting that they are uneducated or to get off the internet. No, again a different opinion.

One more I have seen as high as 100 thumbs before on post. That means that there has to be AT LEAST that many different accounts yet I didn’t see 100 different posters.

• mkaney says:

No I understand that there are people that disagree with me. and LOTS of them! But what I’m telling you here is that when those 36 thumbs down appear in under 30 minutes, then it’s an organized campaign. If I could prove to you that this is happening, would it be something that might influence your perspective at all? Because if it would, I’ll do the legwork and get the data on this phenomenon for you.

• Theo P. Neustic says:

It goes both ways. I’ve had the most innocuous comments get thumbs down repeatedly and it’s obvious that someone has figured out my “bent”. I think this site would be much more honest with no anonymity.I happen to agree with you that throwing someone into the formal legal system is not necessarily the best thing for the kid or society as a whole.

• zaphod says:

the man who speaks the truth is chased from nine villages

• achillesheal says:

could it just be that some issues get people a lot more fired up than others?

• mkaney says:

Not in the period of time that I’m talking about.

4. DennySLO says:

Interestingly enough by reading this story a couple of flags pop-up;

I thought you couldn’t have any passengers in your car under the age of 21 for the first year of driving (not 100% on that one)
    It was 12:30am Monday…..does this mean that there are three sets of parents out there that don’t give a crap about their kids being out that late on a Sunday? That’s kind of scary too.

5. achillesheal says:

Good work boys. Commit a burglary then run a stop sign with the stolen property in the car an hour and 1/2 later. Your parents must be so proud!

6. Ben Daho says:

Skatings Not a Crime!

• Zuma7 says:

But stealing is.
      You do know the difference I hope.

• achillesheal says:

I think they need a sarcasm font so it would be more obvious that he is parodying the battle cry of skateboarders.