Local businessman makes De Vaul challenge

November 25, 2009

Local businessman Kyle Wiens made a public pledge Wednesday night to donate $4,000 to Dan De Vaul and Sunny Acres, challenging 99 other local businesses to match his gift.

Wiens is founder and CEO of iFixit, a local company specializing in Mac and iPod repair. In a widely-circulated email, Wiens expressed disappointment over De Vaul’s being sent to county jail Monday morning.

“Sunny Acres is one of the best examples I’ve ever heard of for work-based rehabilitation and has achieved a remarkably low recidivism rate,” said Wiens in his email. “They are a model that should be supported, encouraged, and emulated. Instead our county government has shut him down.”

Wiens personally knows people who have been helped through the Sunny Acres program. He expressed concern that the growing national publicity over the case will result in “blaming local businesses and local service groups for not taking action.”

The $400,000 figure is often cited as the amount De Vaul needs to bring the Sunny Acres facility into code. De Vaul has since been released from jail on bond.

“We should take a stand to support people who are successfully rehabilitating people,” Wiens said.

1. cheseburger says:

Kudos to RUkiddng, and roger just because you got the bottom bunk is no reason to trash somebody!
    “His place was never a problem until the stucco piece of shit houses were built in the wind tunnel. My hats off to anyone willing and able to step up and help another helping others in need!” Chese’s favorite sentence the author defiantly, has some sense! Locals, real locals, usually do! Not Locos amigos! Aren’t we all buddies and grown ups here, who stole my Candie bar!

2. moderator says:

Topic ?

3. rogerfreberg says:

well, Kyle….

I see that the only address for your BIZ is in Atascadero? Let me guess, you don’t live near Dan do you? I don’t think I have seen you around the neighborhood?

You also wrote about SUNNY ACRES: “remarkably low recidivism rate”… how would YOU really know?

By the way, do you remember what the original Sunny Acres was in SLO? I believe I heard that Dan knew that place well.

• SLO LOCAL says:

Well roq, I know you havn’t been around the neighborhood long because the neighborhood has not been there that long. Not compared to how long Duval ranch has been there. If Dan’s operation bothers you, why the hell did you move into the hood. His place was never a problem unitl the stucco piece of shit houses were built in the wind tunnel. My hats off to anyone willing and able to step up and help another helping others in need!

• RTItrip says:

RTItrip: sorry your personal attack/call out has been deleted
      CCNmoderator

4. rukidding says:

Finally someone has stepped up to the plate to help Sunny Acres. Now we will wait to see if Ms. Mulholland can scrape anything off of her silver platter and help also. Maybe the neighbors might now decide to help instead of hinder.
    Happy Thabksgiving to all.

5. SensitiveGuy says:

• moderator says:

fools in Washington have nothing whatever to do with this story

• hotdog says:

Likewise I’m sure. Without a common sense connection leave out the politics

6. Pot says: