Code violations displace 40 students in SLO
February 13, 2013
After a resident called in a complaint that “the clothes in her closet were getting hot,” fire inspectors found that a loft approved for storage had been converted into a bedroom, according to San Luis Obispo Community Development Director Derek Johnson. The bedroom closet was actually a closet for the forced air furnace and gas fired water heater, which created not only a fire hazard but a risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. Inspectors also discovered the loft did not have an emergency escape window, a violation of the building code.
A team of inspectors then examined 31 other units at the complex between last Wednesday and Monday and discovered similar loft arrangements. The code violations discovered so far will displace 40 residents. City workers are still yet to inspect four other units suspected of containing violations.
The property owner never obtained permits to convert the lofts into bedrooms.
All but one of the units non compliant with the health and safety code housed Cal Poly students. A Cuesta College student lived in the other unit.
Cal Poly and University Housing received notification of the pending violations on Friday and made plans to house the displaced students. City officials directed the displaced Cuesta College student to contact the campus’s Student Life Coordinator.