Santa Maria makes the top 10 most violent city list

November 11, 2013

gunSanta Maria made the top 10 most violent California city list with a crime rate of 6.78 violent crimes per 1,000 residents, according to the FBI’s 2012 crime report.

Leading the state is Oakland, followed by Stockton, Richmond, Antioch, Modesto and Vallejo. Santa Maria is number 10.

According to the FBI report, nationally violent crime rates increased 1.2 percent in 2012 over 2011. Violent crimes include murder, robbery, forcible rape, and aggravated assault.

In 2012, Santa Maria had 21 reported rapes, 140 robberies and 520 aggravated assaults.

1. r0y says:

Sorry for so many posts, but I finally tracked down the actual data and finally see how Santa Maria just snuck in, beating Pomona for the 10th spot. Here’s what I did:

Opening the spreadsheet file in my trusty Libre Office spreadsheet program, I see the entries for California, by City (over 100,000 in population) and numbers for both 2011 and 2012. The CalCoastNews (and everywhere else) article talks about the 10 most dangerous (Violent Crime) cities, and violent crime is defined by the FBI as Murder, Forcible Rape, Robbery and Aggravated Assault. In fact, if one adds up columns F through I on the table linked above, they’ll get the total “Violent Crime” number (column E).

So I deleted all the 2011 rows, as they’re not needed (we’re talking 2012). Then I took column E, the total number of violent crimes, and divided the population listed (column D) by the numbers. This gave me a Violent Crime per Population (VC/pop). Just a number, but one that the larger it is, the less violent crime there is. So a population of 100,000 with 500 violent crimes would be 100,000/500 = 200 VC per pop. So for every 200 people, there’d be 1 violent crime.

OK, so now I am looking for LOW numbers, which would be the WORST or most violent-per-population cities. I sorted the table based on my new VC/pop number and voila!

Here’s the list, in order (hope this works for a post) of WORST to BEST:
    ORANGE
    TEMECULA
    MURRIETA
    IRVINE

There you have it. Let’s all move to Irvine. :(

2. r0y says:

HA! Where are all your Republican types who bemoan that high crime and less-than-desirable social problems are always in Democrat-held cities/states? Isn’t Santa Maria pretty staunchly “conservative” (well, Republican, anyway… true conservatism left CA politics long ago)?

Guess we’ll be spared the “Democrats ran this place into the ground” speeches, huh?

3. slojustice says:

I feel it is time to allow more concealed carry permits for law abiding gun owners. We need to level the playing field with our criminals that are also being released through out our state.

4. OnTheOtherHand says:

If I were to have guessed, I would have placed Santa Maria in the 20s as far as “most violent cities in CA” goes. I can think of at least 6 in the San Joaquin Valley alone that seem worse to me and I would think that more in the LA/East LA area would be ahead of them too.

Maybe this report was based on very selective statistics or on a small time frame when Santa Maria had a run of problems. It would be nice to have a link to the source to check it out more.

• r0y says:

Well, the “stats” are from the Cities’ own reporting… not saying that some “less than reputable” police chiefs were not tempted to “fudge” some numbers to look good… they would never do that, of course; but maybe someone, somewhere, mixed up a decimal place or switched a 3 with a 1… who knows.

I do not think our idolized upper management law enforcement public servants would “cheat” the system for personal gain. That’s like saying teachers or administrators in the public schools would fudge test scores for better funding. Just never would happen! We only employ the best and brightest, that’s why they earn every dime of their extremely low pay and benefits packages.

• oa anon says:

Just google for the FBIs 10 most violent cities and you will find the info.

5. ironyman2000 says:

Not only is Santa Maria violent it is ugly, has no character, has polluted water from a toxic
    waste dump and it quite literally stinks.
    Hated it when I first went there, hated it when I lived there and hated it when I worked there.
    Even endured a two hour commute the second time I worked there in order not to have to
    live there.

• OnTheOtherHand says:

You’re entitled to your opinion of course but mine is that you are exaggerating. Santa Maria has its problems (especially gangs and drugs) but the toxic waste dump doesn’t affect their water (last I heard,) and the odor from the place rarely drifts to Santa Maria. A bigger sort of air pollution comes from the fertilizer used on fields around the town and dirt from those same fields on windy days.

6. BeenThereDoneThat says:

Kind of surprised that Salinas didn’t make the top 10. Interesting that San Francisco and Sacramento made the list. Inglewood in L.A. was right ahead of Santa Maria. Boy that isn’t good news for S.M.

7. Zuma7 says:

Look at the demographics of those cities…..
    is any one surprised?

8. Jorge Estrada says:

Yes, white collar crime is out of control.

• pasowino says:

I would say that white collar crime, blue collar crime, and no collar crime is out of control.

• Jorge Estrada says:

Thanks for the correction, I’ve been disallow from profiling, using actuaries or the inference of what is, because some think that is racist. Fuewy on that, I’m 100% hispanic and I support the truth as does anyone who want to improve. Our insurance companies do not improve their business on politically correct transactions, nope they stick to the facts, the same truth that serves everyone best.

• SuperDave says: