Taxation with representation
August 13, 2011
In a world of computer ease, social media, online payments, world wide and beyond personal computer access and immediacy—why is it that we cannot routinely and securely allocate our Federal and State taxes on line, once a year?
Say October 1st of each year.
Yes, I said allocate. No, that is not another word for pay. It is not an alternative or option to paying, but rather a preferred method of prioritizing where your annual paid tax dollars go, in what personally selected amounts, to whom and to which agencies and programs.
Pay your personal taxes as we do now, April 15th of each year, and allocate them the quarter before so that your tax payments can securely and in a prearranged orderly fashion go where you have personally allocated them.
Yes, of course some form of departmental oversight and site management would require a percentage piece to pay for their work, while the Government would also require a minimum percentage amount to go to a general fund for such things perhaps as: Social Security, Medicare, Defense, Congressional administrative expenses. (Not intended here as the suggested list, but designed for those necessary agencies and expenses which must be securely covered to keep our government open daily and working effectively.)
A required government “safety net” if you will. Say, no more than 1 percent of your tax dollars to go to such a purpose, while the remaining 99 percent goes to those departments and agencies that you selectively favor.
Much like you give your children an allowance for their duties and good deeds, you annually allocate your hard earned tax dollars.
Each department and agency would then have to compete for your dollar, and send you out their particular quarterly profit and loss statements to reliably and honestly show you where they spent your and your neighbors’ money.
In this way we would then know predictably what a particular income stream for any given agency or department would be, in advance and on a predictable annual basis, making it easier for them to budget their income, and for us to measure and monitor their productive effectivity.
With that information and allocation at your fingertips you could then update your profile spending preferences at least annually, allowing you to actually put your money “where your mouth is”. The government would then have to live within those expense margins and we would not have to rely on partisan bickering and infectivity to determine where, what, when and how our taxes get spent.
Sounds great. A very democratic much needed and beneficial addition to a currently very broken system, of miscreant government expense and current out of control irresponsible elected representation.
Taxation with Representation!
The power of government would be in our hands and at our fingertips.
A plank to run on and a citizen need as great or greater than equitable voting districts.
Don Regan of Grover Beach was twice the Republican candidate for Congress in the 22nd District.