Frias charged with second sexual assault
November 29, 2011
A man accused of attempting to rape an Arroyo Grande teenager last year will also be tried for a second, more-violent assault and rape during a trial set for January in San Luis Obispo County Superior Court, a judge ruled on Monday. [SantaMariaTimes]
DNA samples linked Fernando Frias, 24, to a previous los Angeles rape. In 2006, two men allegedly forced a woman into an alley and threatened to kill her if she resisted. The men then allegedly beat the woman and took turns raping her.
In May 2010, Frias allegedly asking a 17-year-old girl to help him find a dog. After she refused, he grabbed her, drug her under a bridge and beat her while threatening her to be quiet.
Several people heard her screams and went to her rescue. Frias attempted to run but the citizens captured him.
San Luis Obispo County Superior Court Judge Barry LaBarbera said he consolidated the cases because they are similar, the Times said.