Apartment fire in SLO started by plastic food containers left on stove

August 6, 2019

Plastic food containers left on a stove sparked an apartment fire in San Luis Obispo Monday evening, according to the city’s fire department. [KSBY]

At about 8:00 p.m., a fire broke out inside an apartment in the 800 block of Boysen Avenue. Firefighters arrived at the scene and contained the blaze to the apartment kitchen.

The lone person inside the apartment was packing belongings when he put a box of plastic food containers on the stove. He then accidentally turned on the stove, sparking the fire, according to the fire department.

There were no reports of anyone suffering injuries from the fire nor damage to neighboring units.


Loading...

2
Leave a Reply

Please Login to comment
womanwhohasbeenthere

It may have been an electric stove – you know, the kind the SLO city council wants to mandate in new construction – which had been used and was still hot enough after use to ignite the box and melt the Tupperware. The lifetime guarantee on the Tupperware I believe has exceptions for melting. Too bad.


r0y

I am left wondering: How does one “accidentally” turn on a stove, and couldn’t the occupant put out the box that caught fire? How much damage was done to the inside of the apartment?


In any case: there goes the deposit…