SLO fire likely started by a cigarette
March 7, 2012
A weekend San Luis Obispo house fire that injured five people apparently began on a couch, possibly started by a cigarette, fire officials said.
Nine people in their 20s escaped the blaze of the white two-story older home early on the corner of Johnson Avenue and Buchon Street early Sunday, and none of the home’s smoke detectors were found to have batteries in them.
One of the nine students living in the home jumped out of a second story window, onto a porch cover, and to the ground where she gashed her head on the steps. Emergency personnel transported her to a local hospital.
Five of the students were transported for medical care to a local hospital. One student suffering from smoke inhalation was transported to a burn unit in Fresno.
“This is a tragic event and we are thankful the injuries were not more severe,” Fire Marshall Rodger Maggio said.