Morro Bay Pokemon players credited with preventing fire damage

October 31, 2016

FIRE_01The Morro Bay Fire Department is thanking Pokemon players for preventing a fire from burning the Harbor Hut restaurant on the embarcadero. The blaze by the Harbor Hut was one of two fires that sparked in Morro Bay Friday evening as a result of misuse of electrical cords and adapters.

A man and his dog escaped the first blaze with minor burns. That fire destroyed an RV in which residents were living.

Around 9:30 p.m., Morro Bay firefighters responded to the Estero Bay RV Park at 490 Atascadero Road with three engines and one ladder truck. Cal Fire also responded to the blaze. Firefighters contained the blaze to the single RV at 10:10 p.m., according to the Morro Bay Fire Department.

The Red Cross and a local church are assisting the people displaced by the fire.

While firefighters were on scene at the RV Park, a group of Pokemon players on the embarcadero noticed a fire on the deck below Harbor Hut. Two engines and one ladder truck responded to the embarcadero fire at 10:45 p.m. Firefighters contained the fire to an electrical shore line service for docked boats.

By reporting the fire early, the Pokemon players allowed firefighters to extinguish the blaze before it could spread to the adjacent restaurant and nearby boats, a fire department press release states. Morro Bay Fire Chief Steven Knuckles stated in the press release that the Pokemon players saved the day.

“We would’ve had our hands full if the fire was reported 10 minutes later,” Knuckles said.

The Morro Bay Fire Department is stressing to residents and businesses the importance of proper use of electrical cords, power strips and adapters. Officials say fires caused by electricity are one of the largest causes of fire deaths and injuries in the country. Fire officials recommend replacing or repairing damaged or loose cords; refraining from running extension cords across doorways or under carpets; and not overloading outlets.







Loading...

Leave a Comment